You find it interesting that both of your teenage daughters have decided to pursue careers in the health field. Looking back, however, you remember that neither of your daughter’s have ever been hesitant about any of the medical procedures that they encountered. In fact, whether it was the weekly allergy shots that your older daughter endured or watching the nurses change the kangaroo gravity feeding bags used with their grandfather when he was in the hospital, both of your daughters were always more interested than scared. They have always had more intrigue than fear.
If you have a teenager who is interested in a health career, it is important to make sure that they get some volunteer opportunities as soon as possible. From wheeling a magazine cart from patient room to patient room, it should come as no surprise that simply being in a hospital or other medical setting can help a young student experience some of the things that are involved in a medical career future. Watching nurses change everything from kangaroo gravity feeding bags to giving instructions about senior walkers with wheels, a hospital volunteer can see many of the most common tasks that are a part of a hospital stay.
Do You Have a Young Student Who Is Considering a Career in the Medical Field?
Not every teenager is up to the task of volunteering or working part time hours in a place that includes mattress protectors and medical canes, but the fact that you some are may be an indicator that person has the patience and compassion to be a nurse in a skilled care center. And while not all high school and college students are interested in spending their time in a locations that include cushioned bed pans and insulin syringes. And while the youngest volunteers and part time workers are not given an patient care responsibilities, just being in these health care settings offers exposure to terms like kangaroo gravity feeding bags and other medical supplies.
The medical industry is expected to need an increasing number of doctors, nurses, and other care givers in the upcoming decade, especially as more and more people gain access to affordable health care. When teenage volunteers find out at a young age that they enjoy spending time with patients in any settings, then, it is a step toward filling one of these much needed careers in the future. And while some people will surely seek roles as doctors and nurses, many more will also be needed in patient care roles that require knowing how to change kangaroo gravity feeding bags and other essential medical supplies.
Consider some of these statistics about the medical needs of Americans and the treatment options that will involve generations of future medical professionals and care givers:
- 10% of seniors use more than one mobility device, like canes, walking sticks, and other kinds of medical walkers.
- 1.4 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year.
- 15% to 25% of hospitalized patients receive urinary catheters during their stays in the hospital.
- 10% of men and 13% of women who are 65 years and older are living with asthma
- 10% percent of men and 11% of women who are 65 years and older are living with chronic bronchitis or emphysema.
- 90% of Americans aged 55 and older are at risk for hypertension, or high blood pressure.
- Women are more likely than men to develop hypertension, with 50% of women age 60 and over and 77% of women age 75 and older having this condition. In comparison, 64% of men age 75 and older have hypertension.
- 81% of retirees cited good health as the most important ingredient for a happy retirement, according to one survey.
- 25% of all Americans and 66% of older Americans have multiple chronic conditions. As a result, treatment for these patients with chronic conditions account for 66% of the country?s total health care budget.
Teenagers do not have to know how to change bedpans or connect feeding bags for patients to begin a health care exploration process. Any volunteer work that puts them into a health care setting can help students know at an early age if a medical environment is a place they like.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.