Sports Massage Therapy Can Help Athletes Get Back in Action
The pain in your daughter’s right shoulder has been nearly unbearable. So much so that the pain does not stay localized, and instead radiates toward her back and down her arm. The worst is when she goes to bed at night. As a result, she is having a difficult time sleeping at night. The lack of sleeping is making the pain and healing worse. Ultrasounds and x-rays have shown that a surgery is not necessary, but the rehabilitation time has been a struggle. The doctor and the physical therapist both hope that with patience and regular sports massage therapy appointments the pain, even at night, will finally go away.
Many therapists say that the pain that patients feel at night is the last thing to heal. Even after the range of motion returns and normal activities are again possible, the shooting pain at night can continue.
When Was the Last Time That You Had a Sports Massage Therapy Appointment?
From trigger point massage therapy to deep tissue massage therapy, finding the right therapist can help you more quickly heal and recover from any injury, whether it was caused by an accident or overuse in a specific sport. Consider some of these facts and figures about the massage industry and the many ways that it can be applied:
- An average of 15% of adult Americans received at least one massage between July 2013 and July 2014, according to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) 2014 consumer survey.
- 92% of patients agree that massage can be effective in reducing pain.
- 23% of massage consumers had a massage for either stress reduction or relaxation between the time of July 2013 and July 2014.
- 54 million American adults indicate that in the year 2012 they had discussed massage therapy with their health care providers or doctors in the previous year.
- Depending on the type of massage and how much time the patient has, massage sessions can last from 15 to 90 minutes.
- With a combination of doctor’s appointments, physical therapy appointments, and sports massage sessions, injured patients can get back to normal as fast as possible.
Whether you have been injured while competing in a sport that you love, or you have been injured in a car accident that was not your fault, finding the right kind of massage therapist can help you get the relieve and the healing that you want.