Compared to natural teeth, dentures are in some ways easier to maintain. However, that doesn’t mean that maintaining dentures is a breeze. If you don’t take the proper steps to care for your dentures, it could lead to problems later on.
A complete or partial lack of teeth is often accompanied by dentures, which will fill in a patient’s smile and help them chew food, talk, and accomplish other tasks. If someone has a partial denture set, they must still maintain their natural teeth. That means using products with fluoride and brushing every day.
This is also true if you have a false tooth, rather than a set of dentures. Maintaining your oral hygiene is still very important, so make sure you discuss proper oral care with your dentist.
You can brush your dentures. However, it’s also possible to place your dentures in cleaning solutions overnight so that they’re clean in the morning. It’s important to keep dentures clean, otherwise, bacteria will begin to grow on them. While you may not from suffer cavities, you could quickly suffer from other health issues.
Have questions? If you’re looking for Asheville NC dental implants and a dentist that does dentures, get in touch.
It should be no surprise that Americans care about how their teeth look. At least 96% of adults in the United States say that a good looking smile is important to a person’s romantic life. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, at least 50% of all of the adult population believes people’s smile maintains its appeal as they age. Almost everyone in the country (99.7%) see a good looking smile as being important to a person’s social life. Many of people throughout the country benefit from denture implants.
Despite the fact that people in the U.S. strive to have good looking smiles, there are at least 178 people throughout the nation who are missing at least one tooth and 35 million who do not have any natural teeth left, according to the American College of Prosthodontists (ACP). Many of these people could benefit from denture implants. At least three million people have dental implants and another 500,000 get them every year.
There are things that people can do to keep their dental implants and denture implants looking and feeling great:
- Keep using products with fluoride. While dental and denture implants are not susceptible to decay and to cavities, unless all of your teeth have been replaced by implants, you still need to protect your natural teeth with the fluoride products that you have always used. Your natural teeth can benefit by toothpastes and rinses that have fluoride in them.
- Maintain your oral hygiene regimen. It is important to maintain a brushing schedule that includes brushing and flossing at least twice each day. Everyone can benefit from brushing after every meal and this should include brushing the surface of the dental and denture implants. While the dental and denture implants are not impacted by plaque the way natural teeth are, the bacteria can hurt your gums and damage your natural teeth.
- Get the right toothbrush. There are a lot of options for toothbrushes out there and you should pick the one that is best for your teeth and your situation. If you have braces, bridges or gaps between your teeth, you should take care to get the right toothbrush for your situation. The best thing you can do is talk to your dentist about what the best option is for you.
- Keep up with your flossing routine. Even if you have one dental implant or a bunch, you need to protect your gums and your natural teeth by flossing your teeth regularly. If you do not floss as you normally done, it is possible to experience dental implant failure. One real problem for many people that can lead to dental and denture implants failing is periodontal disease. Maintaining your routine of brushing, flossing and rinsing is the best thing you can do for the health of your mouth.
- Limit your sugar intake to keep your mouth healthy. Despite the fact that dental and denture implants do not decay, too much sugar in your diet can really hurt the health of your natural teeth and your gums. Problems in those areas can lead to problems with your implants. It should be clear that what you eat and drink will impact your oral health. Foods and drinks that have a lot of acid or sugar will hurt your natural teeth and can lead to gum disease that hurt your implants. You do not have to go sugar and acid free but pay attention to what you eat and drink and take steps to mitigate their impact.
- Go to the dentist as recommended. Most dentists recommend going into the dental office for check ups and cleanings every six months. This is important for a number of reasons. First, the oral hygienist can get your teeth much cleaner than you can at home. They can also find and fix small problems before they get to be large and more challenging to deal with. Many people are afraid of the dentist but it is important to work with your dentist on this so that they can help you get over your fear.
Oral health is very important for people’s overall physical health. Dental and denture implants can be a part of that but they need care.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.